Payers and Providers
- Strategic Planning
- New Entrant / Market Research
- System / Vendor Selection
- Transformation Initiatives
- Executive Leadership
- Scaling IT & Operations
- Strategic Partnerships
P/E & Venture Firms
- Technology Due Diligence
- New Entrant / Market Research
- Portfolio Company Leadership
- HIT Industry Perspectives
Scott Booher is a healthcare business and technology leader with a 20-year history of scaling and maturing organizations, spanning enterprise to growth-stage companies:
- COO at Zipnosis, a virtual care SaaS platform, providing transformative leadership and client/investor confidence in the ability to execute, leading to a successful Series A financing round.
- SVP at Ascension Health, providing technology leadership and business opportunity assessment for a spin-off of the nation’s largest non-profit health system.
- SVP/CIO at Medica Health Plans, where he built the team, technology infrastructure and strategic partnerships necessary to support a $2B managed care organization spin-off.
- VP of Application Development at UnitedHealth Group.
- President of ITR Mobility, where he led the transformation of a mobile development firm with unique IP into an authentic product and services company with accelerating sales growth, compelling products and maturing operations.
Scott has a deep understanding of the business and technology drivers supporting the financing and delivery of healthcare today – an essential quality for senior leaders during this period of disruptive change.
Scaling & Maturing Organizations
- Build-out of a new IT department and all-new technology infrastructure from the ground-up to support a $2B payer spin-out during the organization’s separation from its former parent, including leadership staff, data center, data warehouse, network and communications infrastructure, critical business systems, customer support services, web portals, information security and disaster recovery capabilities. Successfully completed this initiative on-time and under-budget, with no negative user impact - a rarity for a project of this complexity.
- Led the transformation of a local mobile services business with unique IP into an authentic product and services company with accelerating sales growth, compelling products, maturing operations and go-to-market strategies, earning the trust of a growing list of marquee customers.
- Played a key role in the payer organization’s success and growth in the marketplace. Membership grew 35% over 4 years, driven by a flurry of new products and services requiring significant technology support. The company was rated in the top 10% of health plans for information technology capabilities by the National Business Coalition on Health (NBCH), the premiere industry purchasing coalition.
- Helped the payer build significant maturity around the use of and investments in technology, including development of IT project frameworks, software development methodologies and maturity models. These tools moved the organization to the consistent use of business requirements and standard project management methodologies for the first time in its history, and were used as models throughout the company.
Technology & Operations Leadership
- Drawing from corporate and regional offices as well as external partners, created a comprehensive technology architecture, investment and implementation program to support the organization’s internal growth and employee satisfaction goals, including service, business systems, portals, care management and application integration capabilities.
- Aggressively managed IT expenditures/investments made on behalf of the payer organization, leading to positive IT budget variances for 6 years. Two external firms judged the IT organization as operating within the 25th percentile as compared with similar health plans nationwide.
- Directed the organization’s technology build-out and move to new headquarters in 2004. This complex move included four internal call centers and support for 1,000 staff over four phases. Substantially improved disaster recovery capabilities during the process while leveraging new technology such as VoIP to support satellite offices. The relocation was judged as “seamless” by the Board and was finished on-time and under budget.
- Established early credibility within IT and executive leadership through establishment of routine communication with stakeholders across divisions and organizational hierarchies, to better understand business needs and build consensus for change.
Mergers, Acquisitions & Strategic Partnerships
- Evaluated strategic partnerships and potential equity investments for core capabilities of a health plan start-up including: claims processing, population health, care/disease management, telemedicine, risk assessment and analytics.
- Staffed multiple Board committees and led analysis of strategic partnerships, outsourcing methodologies, market/vendor research and financial models.
- Played a key role in strengthening the organization’s strategic technology and BPO partnership with a Fortune 50 partner, including development of initiatives to support seamless, best-in-class nationwide service offerings, and deployment of innovative claims operations and technology capabilities.
- Provided technology evaluations of M&A targets for a rapidly growing, private equity-funded publishing company.
Start-up and Strategic Panning
- Developed compelling business and technology plans for a new for-profit subsidiary with the vision to re-imagine healthcare around the individual by developing innovative, competitive health products, and by providing solutions to physician practices that enable them to achieve better outcomes and lower costs.
- Played leadership roles in key initiatives for the organization’s Board of Directors including development of a long-term IT strategy. Led analysis of strategic partnerships, outsourcing methodologies, market/vendor research and financial models. Staffed multiple Board committees and routinely presented on progress against IT strategic plans and key partner initiatives.
- Directed planning efforts leading to a technology migration for the spin-off of an integrated delivery system to an independent entity. Worked with business leaders to create a comprehensive IT staffing model for the newly independent organization.
- Developed the technical architecture for a spin-off e-health venture. Articulated architecture and technical capabilities to potential investment and technology partners within pitch books and funding proposals. Participated in business and financing discussions with strategic partners, securing funding commitments.
"Scott was exceptionally successful...tackling a wide variety of complex business and technical problems strategically, while leading the organization collectively towards successful deliveries of new products and new customer implementations."
"Scott continually demonstrates a unique ability to break down difficult, complex situations into manageable chunks of work for further analysis or improvement. Scott also has a tremendous ability to think strategically while understanding what it takes to achieve the desired business results."
"His partnership and leadership successfully allowed me and the other teams in the organization to communicate effectively to problem solve and push our strategic initiatives across the line. Scott has earned my respect and highest recommendation."
"He has a complete understanding of the IT landscape and the issues and roadblocks that get in the way of progress."
"He has a wide breadth of capabilities, from strategy, to development, to infrastructure. He brings a great mix of the theoretical and the practical to every opportunity."
"Scott's ability to execute and lead has been a tremendous inspiration, and he has earned my highest recommendations."
"He is a strategic thinker, effectively communicated his vision to team members, and helped us improve the efficiency of our processes in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment."
"Scott brings an amazing wealth of knowledge and experience in operational execution and team development. Scott's ability to lead a dynamic team, building essential organizational infrastructure, and yet staying close to each employee's needs and concerns was nothing I have witnessed before."
"He is a dedicated leader focused on solving problems and improving systems and processes across the organization...he brought his "A" game every day."
"He has a fact-based, even keel style that enables him to work through difficult issues with people who have different points of view."
"Scott is an outstanding leader and IT/business executive. He handles himself with great integrity in challenging and politically-charged situations, and knows how to build strong, trusting relationships with business partners and staff."